Bali in my Eyes

Tuesday, January 3, 2012



The first time I went to Bali was with my parents and their friends for a new year holiday back in the late 80’s or early 90’s (I’m not so sure) but I believe then we stayed in Sanur, where the happening place was back then. We were road-tripping from Jakarta to Bali. I did not really remember our whole activity there but I remember getting my hair braided by the beach and swimming endlessly until my skin got so dark and burned. Even as a child I really love the beach…


Later on, after I finished high school, I went to Bali with a friend for a new year celebration, it was in 1996. Ever since that year, I went back to Bali at least once a year and sometimes up to two or three times a year, be it either for a vacation, work or just to get away. And it went on for 17 years until today. Last month was the first time I went to Bali with my kids. Bali with kids was certainly a very different experience. The last 5 years I mainly go to Bali for work so no kids or husband was involved.


I love Bali for it’s laid back atmosphere and it’s friendly culture, yet it still has modern ambience but still maintains it’s cultural tradition. I love the people, the places, the beach and the tradition. I believe there is something magical about Bali. I have a special connection to the island, the minute I step off the plane all my senses suddenly relaxing and adjusting to the environment, I even believe that my skin complexion got better when I'm in Bali… Hahahahha… And as tired as I was from partying or working in Bali, I always feel refreshed at the end of the trip. I believe that the island is truly blessed with its people prayers and offerings to blessed the island. I myself have a personal ritual when arriving and leaving the island. Upon arrival, the first time I step on the ground, I always said greetings to the island and a prayer of thanks that I still can come to the island. And upon leaving I did the same and prayer and bid farewell. And blessedly for 17 years, there were always ways and reasons for me to go back to the island.


In the past 17 years, Bali has grown so much. It has more chain and fast food restaurants, malls, shops, hotels and more big roads connecting Bali's area more easily, but the downside was that Bali’s traffic is getting worse and it was starting to feel like driving around in Jakarta with different scenery. I had a mixed feeling about this growth. In some parts, it is amazing for the people of Bali that this growth in business means more income opportunity for the people, but sometimes driving around and finding KFC, Mc Donalds and Domino pizza at every corner of the road is really ruining my Bali experience. The worse thing is the traffic. Agggh.. This one is the biggest downside of Bali nowadays.. with this growth I prefer the quieter side of Bali. I found out that I enjoy Sanur and would really consider it for our next trip. And when the kids are older I would like to take them to the other part of Bali, like Lovina, Menjangan Island, Bedugul and many more…


I love Bali, I hope I have many many more chance to go back in the future…I really do hope that the Bali I know would not change so much…I would also love to travel to other parts of Indonesia… I know that my home country has many many more beautiful places to explore, as an adult I haven’t got the chance to explore it all.. as much as I love and really want to travel abroad… I hope that God would also give me the chance to take my kids to enjoy their home country as well …  I hope that they will love, appreciate and be proud of their country first before exploring other parts of the world… because in the end, the future of our country is eventually in their hands so for them to learn to love and appreciate what they have at home is a valuable legacy that I want to be able to give to my children…

No comments :

Post a comment